Thursday, July 2, 2009

4th of July decorations

This is the fastest least expensive decoration I have found and I use it all year round changing the wired garland with the season. It looks so festive in the evening.
All you need:
1. Assorted jars in any size or shape. I like to mix the sizes to add interest.
2. Wired garland. I got mine at Michael's for less than $3.00 for 25 feet. You can make quite a few with just one package. I think Walmart & Hobby Lobby carry it too. You could substitute with curling ribbon also.
3. Sand (I stole it from the boy's sandbox) and candles of your choice. I happened to have a package of red votives left from Christmas. A great deal from Dollar Tree, box of 6 for just $1! If you would like to add a handle you will need a medium weight gage wire. The addition of the handle will allow you to hang it if desired.
Simply wrap the lip of the jar twice with the wired garland and twist together. Then I wrap the lengths around my finger to make them curl. If you are adding the handle, put it on before you wrap with garland. Fill with sand and add your candle.
I usually line the steps of my front walkway with the jars to "set the party mood" and welcome guests. Then I cluster the jars in 3's on the tables as a centerpiece.

3 comments:

Elyse said...

i love this i love this i love this i love this i love this i love this i love this i love this ...

how lucky for your guests to see these lining the walkway. so pretty, easy and cool. and of course, you know me and jars!

have a happy 4th!

xo

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Wow that's a whole lot of bloggy love! You rock you crafty "Cottage" girl!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I love the use of jars for just about anything.

Stopping by to give you a big welcome to the SITStahood. We are so glad you joined us and look forward to seeing you around!