Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gratitude

 ~A dare to LIVE FULLY right where you are~

I started reading this book last summer and I have to be honest with you, I didn't know what I was in for. You see I have this thing for birds' nests and I was smitten with the blue eggs on the cover shot.
"A dare to live fully right where you are" struck me. I'm up for a good dare if its meaningful and thought provoking.
So, game on!

As I began reading I was truly taken by author Ann Voskamp's ability to be candid. This type of laying one's self completely naked to be scrutinized comes at a high price.
Reading her work is like listening to a conversation she is having deep within her soul. Chewing on thoughts and ideas and being interrupted by the daily chores of farm life. Ann asks the hard questions that many of us ponder but never raise our hand and ask either because of fear or lack of faith. I was one of those that didnt ask the questions, I think it was because of fear.
"What in the world, in a world of certain loss, is GRACE"?  
 
Every time I turn on the t.v. I hear yet another tragedy reported. I have to admit it was stealing my joy, my peace and my passion. I was overwhelmed.
 
Then the most liberating thing happen on page 58 and I quote:

"Why would the world need more anger, more outrage? How does it save the world to reject unabashed joy when it is joy that saves us? Rejecting joy to stand in solidarity with the suffering doesnt save the suffering. The converse does. The brave who focus on all things good and all things beautiful and all things true, even in the small, who give thanks for it and discover joy even in the here and now, they are the change agents who bring fullest Light to all the world."

These words spoke so deeply to my heart I sobbed. We have to be the change we want to see in the world otherwise what is it all for and Im not willing to give in to it.

I began writing a list of 1,000 things to be thankful for. This is not just another exercise in list making. It will, I promise, change your life if you approach it with an open heart.

So on this Thanksgiving give yourself the gift of peace and gratitude and begin your list of 1,000 things you are thankful for.

I plan to reread the book every Thanksgiving and start a new list.

 Wishing you and your family all the hope, grace and peace of the season.


 XO~

5 comments:

Claudia said...

Beautiful, Sharon! I've been reading about this book on many blogs and now I think I have to get a copy. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

xo
Claudia

Lisa Gundersen said...

Hi Sharon,

I love,Love,LOVE this post.

Will run to pick up this book...I too feel weakened/stressed by the daily reports on TV, and what life throws our way.

Thank you for sharing, and have a lovely and grateful Thanksgiving.

xo~Lisa

White Ironstone Cottage said...

There are no accidents I know I was suppose to find your beautiful blog today
Love the book and the quote and agree
I am your newest follower
Love Gods guidance
xxoo
Pam

fiberdoodles said...

I am so looking forward to reading it. I'm not much of a reader but occasionally there are books out there that just speak to the heart and this one is speaking loud. Thank you so much for sharing this book.

cathy said...

Merry Christmas, Sharon! Thank you for popping over to say hello...made me smile BIG!

Had to comment on this post...that quote from page 58? I shared it with a team from our church!!! I love it, too. And I loved the cover of Ann's book, as well - lol. Her words are good and deep, aren't they?!

XOXO