Monday, April 20, 2009

What Mom NEVER told you

OK Girls, I need a little help with this one.....here I am at 40 something with 3 kids, 1 married, 2 at home(ages 7&10), a husband, a dog that is rather confused about being a dog and 2 cats(1 that loves me the other doesn't know I exist). And of course a house that always needs cleaning, a yard & patio that are in dyer need of care and then there's my business; my only bit of semi-sanity. The dilemma is this......Nothing here even remotely resembles Better Homes & Gardens or Woman's Day for that matter!! Why wasn't I informed about this housekeeping stuff? Was there a memo I missed? My Mom (passed away in '95) never made it look this tough. My Mother-in law doesn't make it look this hard. You could eat off her kitchen floor! If I spill while I'm cooking, I call the dog to help clean it up. I know it's tacky and yes I do get the mop, eventually. Don't roll your eyes many of you are guilty of this too. I've seen you. Speaking of cooking, I am such a terrible cook. Its a good thing the dog isn't a picky eater. I have proudly given myself the badge"Reheat Queen". My slogan is: if its frozen, I can do it. Are any of you out there frustrated with the dissaray of you home? Well, here's what I've concluded; DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! While you are scrubbing you could be missing out on something wonderful like watching your kids run through the sprinklers or blowing bubbles that the dog can't catch or a NAP. Yes, I said a NAP. Mom's true definition is as follows: One who is always available, always prepared, always has a kiss & a hug, always finds a way, always has an answer and that always means you are eventually gonna get tired so take a nap, you deserve it. So with this dandy little blog I hope to swap inspiration, problem solving and even recipes with you. Here is my no fail "Salsa Chicken" recipe:
  1. jar of your favorite salsa
  2. 1 C. warm water
  3. 1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken
  4. 1 C. instant rice
  5. chili powder to taste.

Pour the water in the bottom of your crockpot, top with chicken & 1/2 jar of salsa. Cook all day on low. 45 min before serving, shred chicken in pot. Add rice, stir well. Recover and let rice absorb the water. Add chili powder to taste and serve in a tortilla. I add more salsa and 1C. shredded mexican cheese to the pot before serving.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Teresa Judd said...

Hi Sharon,
I loved this. Haven't tried the recipe yet though.
Terri

The Tattered Cottage said...

Too funny...but so true! I'll admit it, my house does not resemble Better Homes & Gardens either....more like Lived In Home & Needs Weeding Garden. :)
Toni

dlh said...

time enough for a clean house when you are a mother-in-law. After reading the letter your son wrote you, I don't think you need to change a thing about the home you have created with your family.