Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Imperfect Christmas


I'm not quite sure where to start, something has been stirring within me all month long and I felt the need to share it with you.
Typically, I am a Christmas fanatic.

Translation: overwhelming excitement, lots of preparations including no fewer than 4 trees are ever put up. Every room in the house is decorated including the bathroom, yep!

A large collection of nutcrackers are displayed, bows tied to each chair at the dining room table. Candles grace the entry way to welcome guests.....
but this year its different.
 
Ive been feeling like all of the decorating, shopping and cooking were causing me to miss the true meaning of the season. The "hurry up and hurry some more" routine.
Do you know it? Im sure you do.

I heard something from a friend that was relating what someone
else said and it really resonated with me. 

It was something like,"Dont let the season just roll off your back, take time to drink it in".
So true, isn't it?
Ive decided it doesn't matter whether the house is spotless and perfectly decorated.

As I look around at all the people in need this year and the horrible losses here in CA from the storms my decorating plan pales in comparison.  

The perfect tree in my living room wont be what I remember in years to come. But I will remember helping neighbors, savoring quiet moments with my family, candlelight services at church and the sweetness of what Christmas means to Christians all over the world. 

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 
 Isaiah 9:6

No matter what faith you practice, drink in these precious moments with your loved ones.

Wishing all of you Peace, Joy and Love.


6 comments:

Rebecca Lewis said...

So beautifully stated...I understand as well ~ this year feels different for us as well. We just haven't been able to place our fingers on it.
What I do know is that even though things aren't "perfect" I personally have really enjoyed and appreciated every moment to it's fullest.
Perhaps its the wisdom to know what is truly important that comes with age....Blessings to you and your family for a Merry Christmas with Joy and Happiness in the New Year! ~ Rebecca

Mari said...

WISHING YOU AND YOURS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!!!
I WISH WE COULD GO BACK IN TIME WHEN CHRISTMAS WAS ALL ABOUT THE BIRTH OF OUR DEAR CHRIST AND NOT SO MUCH OF THE FAN FARE!!!

XO~MARI

Bearly Sane said...

Merry Christmas Sharon!
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Ess D'Ess Bears and Bearly Sane Studio

Elyse said...

hi sweetie,

it's true we get busy, people get cranky. i've been trying to take in the festive and keep a smile .. no matter how long the line at the p.o. was!

i hope that you and your family had a lovely day of togetherness.

okay, time for a family movie on the couch complete with _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

merry christmas, dear friend

xo
elyse

Cassandra said...

I wanted to stop by to wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Happy Holidays
Cassandra

Miss Gracie's House said...

great post...I too felt the need for *imperfection*...just a time to be still...
Rene